Geneva, NY (September 20, 2012) -
The Geneva Electrical Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee Local Union #840 will conduct a recruitment from October 10, 2012 through September 11, 2013 for 10 electrician apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced today.
Applications may be obtained at Local Union #840, 1401 Routes 5 and 20, Geneva, NY from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month, except legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
Applicants must pay a $10 testing fee at the time of application. Applicants may request that this fee be waved. Fee waivers will be approved upon a showing of verifiable proof of financial need.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old (at the time of indenture).
- Must have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D) and must have passed Course I and Course II in math (Algebra) or prove a passing grade in post-secondary school math.
- Must be physically able to perform the work required as determined by a physical exam and drug testing (paid for by the sponsor - after selection into the program).
- Must be able to climb and work from ladders, scaffolds, poles and towers of various heights.
- Must be able to crawl and work in confined spaces such as attics, manholes and crawl spaces.
- Must possess a valid New York State driver's license - may be required to drive a company vehicle.
- Must be able to get to work and job sites, and be able and willing to attend all related classroom training.
- Must live within the local's geographic jurisdiction, which includes the following:
- In Ontario County - townships of Canadaigua, Farmington, Geneva, Gorham, Hopewell, Manchester, Phelps, and Seneca.
- In Seneca County - all townships except Covert and Lodi.
- In Wayne County - townships of Arcadia, Galen, Lyons, and Savannah.
- o In Yates County - all townships - entire county.
- In Cayuga County - all townships except Genoa, Ira, Sterling, Victory, Locke, Sempronius, and Summerhill.
- In Onondaga County - townships of Elbridge and Skaneateles.
- Must take the National Electrical Trade's Aptitude Test and obtain a score of "four" or higher.
- Must be able to read and understand English, and hear and understand instructions and warnings in English.
For further information, applicants should contact their local New York State Department of Labor Office or Local Union #840 at (315) 789-3330.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.