Horseheads, NY (November 16, 2012) -
The Empire State Carpenters Apprenticeship Committee Local Union #281 (Binghamton) will conduct a recruitment from December 12, 2012 through November 20, 2013 for 10 carpenter apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced today.
Applications can be obtained at the Local Union #281 (Binghamton), 23 Market Street, Binghamton, NY from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the second and third Wednesday of each month, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
Applicants must submit the required documents of proof when offered a position to enter the apprenticeship program. Failure to provide the Apprenticeship Committee with the required proofs will result in immediate dismissal from the program.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (G.E.D.) - must provide transcript of courses and grades after selection and prior to indenture.
- Must be physically able to perform the work required as determined by an affidavit of trade-specific qualifications signed and notarized at indenture. Qualifications include:
- Performing all phases of the carpentry industry. This includes working with sharp objects, hazardous machinery, and possible exposure to loud noise and respiratory irritants. It may also include prolonged standing, walking, and repeated squatting and/or bending.
- Working under exposure to temperature extremes, such as being outside on winter days or inside in confined areas where high temperatures can be reached.
- Lifting (50 lbs.) and/or moving heavy objects and equipment, and working off of ladders and scaffolds at protected heights.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from worksites across south-central New York.
- Must be able and willing to attend related instruction for four, one-week periods at an Empire State Carpenters Regional Training Facility.
- Must be able to pass a drug test, at the Committee's expense, at the time of employment.
- Must be prepared to take a math and measurement computation (UBC Qualifying) test at the time of application.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Empire State Carpenters Council - counties of Broome, Chenango, Delaware, Otsego and Tioga.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #281 (Binghamton) at (607) 739-4685.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.