Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

Hazardous Materials Transporter


Drivers responsible for transporting hazardous materials must possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL) with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME). To obtain an HME, a driver must pass the Hazardous Materials Knowledge test and submit to a fingerprint based criminal history background check to ensure that they do not have a criminal history and /or pose a security threat which would warrant denying him or her the endorsement. Background checks are required under both state and federal law.

Licenses Issued and Active

Number of licenses issued: 5,212. Year issued: 2017
Number of active licenses with the HME: 27,700 as of October 31, 2018.

Licensing Authority

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Safety Services (Hazardous Material Unit)
6 Empire State Plaza
Swan Street Building, Room 524
Albany, New York 12228
E-mail: ny

Standard Occupational Classification

47-4041.00 - Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
To learn more about this occupation search the Occupational Information Network (O*Net).


Fees stated and other information contained in this report are subject to change. Please contact the licensing authority listed above for the most current information.

This page was last updated on 11/9/18.

Thanks for the feedback! It will help us improve your experience.